Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Book review and excerpt for So I'm A Double Threat



Book Review of So I’m A Double Threat by Julie Prestsater
So I’m a Double Threat
By Julie Prestsater
Genre: YA

Book Synopsis:

Megan Miller, a freshman at Carver High and a Double Threat, the perfect combination of smart and popular.

She's got the grades, she's got the friends, and she's got the connections. Freshman year should be a breeze, but it's not. How can it be when you have boys, boys and boys on the brain.

And really only one in particular.

Alex Aguilar...the boy of Meg's dreams.

They met at a party and Meg's whole world shifted. The spark was there, there was no denying it. But could that spark lead to more? Can a Senior and Freshman really make a go of it no matter what kind of connection they share? Or will outside circumstances ruin not only Meg's Freshman year, but her chance at hooking the guy of her dreams.

Being a Double Threat is supposed to make you special, but is it worth it if you don't get your crush?




Author Information:

Julie is a high school reading intervention teacher who prides herself on matching her students with great books to encourage them to become life-long readers. She enjoys writing stories that even the most reluctant of readers will not want to put down.

Julie is a mom, a wife, a teacher, a reader, and a writer. She also a lunatic when it comes to the NFL and playing Fantasy Football, especially if she doesn't get my first pick quarterback: Tony Romo. When she’s not at home or work, you can probably catch her on the 15 freeway singing her heart out and dancing away in her car.


Book Excerpt:

Oh no. School hasn’t even started yet and I’m already googoo gaga over some guy. And not just any guy. A football player. A senior.
Suddenly, I awake from my daydream and realize I’m all alone in a crowded party and start to feel like an idiot. Amy tagged along with her sister, Jen, and her group of friends almost immediately after we arrived. Keesh went to dance with some cute guy, and Steph had to pee. I stayed behind to save our spot, a tall circular table full of purses and cups of booze.
I scan the doorway for Steph as I raise my cup to take a drink. Mid-sip I hear my name. I turn around to see Alex, strutting toward me.
He wears a grin on his smooth face that warms my body. “Hey, Megan. What’s up?”
Holy hotness. He’s here. Right in front of me. Talking to me.
I set my cup on the table. “Hey, Alex.” My voice is shaky. And so are my hands.
I pick up my drink again, trying to gather some liquid courage to hold a conversation with this deliciously steamy guy.

Book Review:

            This book starts out as a typical coming of age story.  The real difference is that main character manages to do this without becoming suicidal, being turned into a vampire, shifter, or other paranormal creature.  It seems that most of the coming of age stories I have read lately end up being about paranormal stuff.  This book is not that.  This is the real deal, a real teen with real issues.             There is however, the requisite love triangle, or more of a three dimensional hexagon. 
 

I quickly came to care for Megan as she came across as a real person, warts and all.  She was loveable, but still had her foibles.  Megan had her own issues.  She is self-conscious but strong-willed.  I felt like this was a person I could have been friends with when I was that age.  I sympathized with her and connected with her which pulled me into the book.

The writing flows easily making this an easy.  The writing was clean and easy to read.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment